ABB Low Voltage Soft Starters
The PSE softstarter range is the world’s first compact softstarters with Torque Control. This makes the PSE range an excellent
choice for pumping application where water hammering normally is a big problem. With its compact design and advanced
functionality, the PSE is also a very efficient solution for other common applications such as compressors and fans.
The most important function when stopping pumps is torque control. Since the PSE softstarter is optimized for controlling
pumps, this feature is a must.
Built-in by-pass for energy saving
Using by-pass after reaching full voltage will greatly reduce the power loss and thereby save energy. In the PSE softstarter
range, the by-pass is built-in on all sizes, which will give the most compact starting solution and reduce the need for wiring
Coated circuit boards
All circuit boards in the new PSE softstarter have a protective coating to ensure a reliable operation even in tough environments
like wastewater plants, where corrosive gases and acids may exist.
The PSE softstarter is equipped with built-in electronic overload protection, protecting the motor from overheating. Since no
additional overload device is needed, our efficient design saves both space, installation time, and ultimately money.
The analog output terminals can be connected to an analog current meter to show the current during operation and thereby
eliminating the need for an additional current transformer. The analog output signal can also be used as an analog input to a
Display and keypad
The set-up of the PSE softstarter is done using the four button keypad and the illuminated display, providing a quick and easy
set-up. While operating, the display will also provide important status information such as current and voltage.
As an option the PSE softstarter can be equipped with an external keypad for easy set-up and monitoring of the unit without
opening the enclosure door. The keypad can also be used to copy parameters between different softstarters.
• Wide rated operational voltage 208 – 600 V AC
• Wide rated control supply voltage 100 – 250 V, 50/60 Hz
• Rated operational current 18 to 370 A
• Wide ambient temperature range, -25 to +60 ºC
• Coated circuit boards for reliable operation in harsh environment
• Built-in by-pass on all sizes, saving energy and reducing
• User friendly HMI with illuminated language neutral display and
four button keypad
• Optional external keypad, IP66
• Torque control for excellent control of pumps
• Current limit, adjustable between 1.5 – 7 x Ie
• Motor overload protection with classes 10A, 10, 20 and 30
• Motor underload protection to detect pumps running dry
• Locked rotor protection, detecting jammed pumps
• Kick start to start jammed pumps or conveyor belts
• Analog output showing operational current, 4 – 20 mA
• Optional fieldbus communication using Profibus, Modbus,
Devicenet or CANopen
• Sophisticated algorithm eliminating the DC-component and
thereby providing excellent starting performance.